Monday, September 3, 2012

Dinner with Oles

Last Thursday I was invited to eat dinner with Linda, a former Ole-Rimbach teacher.  It was a great excursion.  I met Linda and her husband and their three week old baby Deniz, and we went to their favorite restaurant in the area.  Needless to say, it was great, and I had my first Kochkaese Schnitzel with caramelized onions, potatoes, and homemade bread.  Wonderful stuff.  Furthermore, it was great just getting to talk with a fellow Ole who has already gone through the same experience I am doing.  It was fascinating just to hear all the changes that have already happened in the last 8 years alone, and to compare thoughts on moving to Germany.  We both agreed that one of the largest difficulties is the occasional loneliness and overcoming the language barrier.  It was comforting to really realize how teacher after teacher have overcome these barriers before me as well and had great years here.  It was also really nice to talk about St. Olaf, as students are beginning to move back this week.  Linda was in the Ole Choir and she shed a little dirt on it which was nice, since Ole Band is obviously far superior anyways.  It was great talking about the Caf and the Pause, and kind of a surreal experience to be having such conversations in the middle of the Odenwald.  Above all, it make me really begin to appreciate how this set of Olaf-Rimbach guest teachers really is a community.  We have all gone through a pretty unique experience, and I have no doubt that by the end of my year here I will feel quite a bond with the other teachers, many of whom I've yet to meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment