Friday, June 24, 2011

Verabschiedung und Geschichte

What a busy week this has been! I am now officially done with my job as an assistant English teacher. Not only have we had end of the year celebrations, but I have also gotten to spend time with some former Guest Teachers as well.

On Monday, we had a staff meeting and then party. Six teachers were retiring and we were celebrating their work at the school, but Principal Wilhelm also said some words about me and I received a wonderful book about Germany's history over the last six decades. Later during the unofficial after party, the English faculty also gave me a book on the cultural landscape (with lots of photos) of the Odenwald and Bergstraße regions.

Also attending the celebrations were four other Ole guest teachers, Linda from Fürth (2003-4), Lawrence from Wolfsburg (1963-4), Lois from Helmstedt (1967-8), and Virginia from Austin, Minnesota (1959-60). It was really fun to get to speak with them about their times at the school. We also discussed hopeful plans for the future.

American Guest Teachers and their classes, 1960 & 2011
Me with my eighth graders
Speaking at the farewell party
Five Ole guest teachers with former principal Hans-Jürgen Schmidt

1 comment:

  1. Nice to see my friend Ginnie Larson in the group of former teachers. We were contemporaries at St. Olaf. --- Louise Griffin

    ReplyDelete